Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Please respond to the beginning of the memoir in progress.


Introduction


            At seven years old, my 1970’s Việt Nam was a breathtakingly beautiful land full of excitement and danger; a land of poisonous snakes, killer floods, and terrifying accidents. But it was also a place of adventure and delight, of exploration on the mountain and in the neighboring villages, climbing mango trees and picking acai berries, canoeing in the brook and crabbing, playing any and every game imaginable. Oh, yes, and by the way, it was a place where a war was going on. My mother, watched us arrive home plastered in mud or emerge from mists of tear gas, and folded us in her arms rejoicing in our miraculous, continued wellbeing. She knew we were surrounded by danger, so she trained us rather than chaining us.
My father struggled to save the world one child at a time by adopting Việt Cộng[1] spies and an orphaned boy, who years later turned traitor, a victim of communist brainwashing. Above all, we led as normal a life as possible amid battling artillery right outside the windows of our home.  My father, city manager and an important man, commanded our family before he died to tell people he was a good father
. Family always came first for him and then country. My father was humble about his public service.
I chose to write this memoir in tribute to what South Việt Nam once was, and also, to honor my parents, who planned and provided for my lucky escape from the horrors of the Việt Nam War that was fought on my front doorstep.


[1] The Việt Cộng (VC) are the Northern Communists who fought the Americans in the Việt Nam War.

6 comments:

  1. An intriguing and fascinating insight to Thai's life in Vietnam. A heart rendering account which is also a page turner. I have a feeling this book will move hearts and minds. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lana! I'm getting so excited about the book. It's almost finished! I have two more chapters to write and then some polishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read more, Amanda. Thai's life is captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story leaves you wanting to hear more and I like the way you've been able to take the story from Thai and put it on paper. You and Thai have done an excellent job and I can't wait to read more of it. I pray all goes well with your book Amanda. Much blessings to both of you. You for writing the story and Thai for being able to tell it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, thank you so much. It has been an exciting and emotional journey for both of us. We are looking forward to its completion, the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. blogwalking need friends list folow me i will folow you back :) natamp3

    ReplyDelete